Tuesday, May 25, 2021

In just 15 minutes a day

David Murdock, Gadsden State Community College, in a column at The Gadsden Times.

"In 1910, Dr. Charles W. Eliot, retiring from his 40-year tenure as president of Harvard University, wrote in the magazine Collier’s that during a speech, he had 'chanced to say that a three-foot shelf would hold good books enough to give a liberal education to anyone who would read them with devotion, even if he could give but 10 minutes a day to the task.' The shelf later grew to five feet, and the reading time grew to 15 minutes. That’s the origin of the famous set of books, The Harvard Classics, which is often called 'Dr. Eliot’s Five-Foot Shelf of Books.' ...

"I have half a mind to buy an antique set of the 'Five-Foot Shelf' and set off on the journey. If I do, I’ll dust off my kitchen timer just to see if Dr. Eliot’s reading plan can actually be accomplished. ..."

The day before, Mark Alexander, in a post titled "The Great Books" at Ricochet noted,

"Well, the dreaded Amazon has published on Kindle all 71 volumes in one mostly well-linked file for a mere $1.99. Worth the price. Only 37,451 pages. I always have five or six books I’m reading, switching from one to the other, depending on my mood."

No comments:

Post a Comment