Friday, November 2, 2007

Paul Tibbets, pilot who bombed Hiroshima, dies at 92

Anything recalling the bombing of Hiroshima is an occasion for "what might have been". Studs Terkel interviewed Tibbets for the August 6, 2002 issue of The Guardian: 'One hell of a big bang'.
PT: ... General Ent looked at me and said, "The other day, General Arnold [commander general of the army air corps] offered me three names." Both of the others were full colonels; I was lieutenant-colonel. He said that when General Arnold asked which of them could do this atomic weapons deal, he replied without hesitation, "Paul Tibbets is the man to do it." I said, "Well, thank you, sir." Then he laid out what was going on and it was up to me now to put together an organisation and train them to drop atomic weapons on both Europe and the Pacific - Tokyo.

ST: Interesting that they would have dropped it on Europe as well. We didn't know that.

PT: My edict was as clear as could be. Drop simultaneously in Europe and the Pacific because of the secrecy problem - you couldn't drop it in one part of the world without dropping it in the other. ...

No comments:

Post a Comment