Monday, January 19, 2015

Why a Generation of Adoptees Is Returning to South Korea

Maggie Jones's essay in The New York Times included this on one such adopted child.
"In Franklin, Wis., a largely white suburb of Milwaukee, [Laura] Klunder attended a Lutheran school where she was taunted by one boy for years: 'Why is your skin so dirty?' 'You look like a black Barbie.' 'Did you fall in the mud?' Her parents had good intentions and, Klunder says, 'were loving in more ways than they were not.' But they didn’t acknowledge how central race was in their daughter’s life. 'My parents told me they didn’t see color,' Klunder said. 'They couldn’t engage on that level.'

"When I recently talked to her mother, she said: 'I could see how upsetting certain things were to Laura. But I said, You can’t let these things bother you so much; there will also be people like that in the world.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment