Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The back of the envelope

Remember to Pray For... is a new parish bulletin feature proposed by one of our deacon's in the November 1, 2009 bulletin (page 4).
It has been my experience during my years of diaconal ministry that I have come upon many situations where someone has had surgery or a recent diagnosis, and they came up to me and said, “Didn’t you know that I was ill?” I felt very uncomfortable, and I know that person felt forgotten.

The only regular communication with the parish is the weekly envelope. Don't keep up with those and you won't feel forgetten.
I would like to create a bulletin column entitled, REMEMBER TO PRAY FOR. With this column, you would have the opportunity to have your name only listed for a two-week period, which would be an initial request for prayer. If continued prayer is needed after the two weeks, we ask that you contact one of our prayer networks that are listed in the bulletin for that ongoing prayer.

How would you get on the list?
Prayer authorization forms will be available on a table in the Gathering area, from the parish office, or on the forms section of the St. Alphonsus Parish website.

Sounds good. Hope it works.

My idea has been to include prayer requests on the back of the weekly envelope; right now this is only done on the envelope for All Souls Day. I would have also included a space to put suggestions, comments, and questions for parish leadership. That would get the weekly envelope away from being a symbol of a one-sided relationship with the parish.

No comments:

Post a Comment