Monday, October 23, 2006

Nobel Prize Library

This work on winners of the Nobel Prize in literature was published in 20 volumes by Alexis Gregory, New York, in 1971. At least, I think it's 20 volumes. It has tables of contents on for the individual volumes, and those lack volume numbers. When a search of the Library of Congress on-line catalog did not include all the volumes, I decided to prepare a list from my set and whatever information I could find. The print set includes, for each laureate, the presentation address, any acceptance speech, a work of the laureate significant to the judge's decision, bibliography, and a brief explanation of the reasons for the laureate's selection. For this post, I've linked to the Nobel Foundation's information on each one.

1. S. Y. Agnon, Ivo Andric

2. Miguel Angel Asturias, Jacinto Benavente, Henri Bergson

3. Samuel Beckett, Bjornstjerne Bjornson, Pearl Buck, Ivan Bunin

4. Albert Camus, Winston Churchill

5. Giosue Carducci, Grazia Deledda, Jose Echegaray, T. S. Eliot

6. Rudolf Eucken, Anatole France, John Galsworthy

7. Andre Gide, Karl Gjellerup, Paul Heyse

8. Gerhaupt Hauptmann, Verner von Heidenstam, Johannes V. Jensen

9. Halldor Laxness, Maurice Maeterlinck, Thomas Mann

10. Francois Mauriac, Frederic Mistral, Theodor Mommsen

11. Roger Martin du Gard, Gabriela Mistral, Boris Pasternak

12. Ladislas Reymont, Romain Rolland, Bertrand Russell

13. Nelly Sachs, Jean-Paul Sartre, George Bernard Shaw, Frans Eemil Sillanpaa, Rene Sully-Prudhomme

14. Giorgos Seferis, Mikhail Sholokhov, Henryk Sienkiewicz, Carl Spitteler

15. St.-John Perse, Liugi Pirandello, Henrik Pontoppidan, Salvatore Quasimodo

16. William Faulkner, Eugene O'Neill, John Steinbeck

17. Ernest Hemingway, Knut Hamsun, Hermann Hesse

18. Yasunari Kawabata, Rudyard Kipling, Sinclair Lewis

19. Juan Ramon Jimenez, Erik Axel Karlfeldt, Par Lagerkvist, Selma Lagerlof

20. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, Rabindranath Tagore, Sigrid Undset, William Butler Yeats

I'm posting the list now as part of a housecleaning. My study is overflowing with books and something has to go. I've decided it will be works that are substantially available for reference on line. Doing that with this set emptied a shelf, and I can get a stack or two of books off the floor. The set I'll donate to the local library Friends for their resale fundraising.

1 comment:

  1. Are these books still available? I have 7 volumes and I'd like to get the whole set.

    My E-Mail address is as follows.

    JoeyTheer@Bellsouth.net

    Thank you.
    Sincerely, Joe Theer

    ReplyDelete