Friday, September 23, 2005

What Makes a University "Great"?

George Weigel joined Fr. Richard John Neuhaus in taking to task Marquette University President Fr. Robert A. Wild, S.J., for this recent statement.
We must remember that Marquette University is first and foremost an academic institution. We have great momentum resulting from the accomplishments of our students, faculty and alumni over the past several years. Just last week we received the largest single donation in university history with a gift of $28 million that will transform our College of Communication. For the third consecutive year, we celebrate the fact that students are applying to Marquette in record numbers. Marquette has risen in national academic rankings. The campus has undergone a physical transformation, and Marquette has enjoyed the most successful fund-raising period in its history, raising more than $300 million during the current comprehensive campaign. These are the true measures of a great university.

Based on my experience there, I tend to agree that "Marquette University is first and foremost an academic institution." Fr. Wild, however, is stating that as an ideal, not just a fact. A few decades ago, it was said,
Marquette's primary reason for being is a shared conviction on the part of its sponsors and sustainers that their Catholic belief has dimensions pertinent to and salutary for higher education, and that those dimensions can best be celebrated in distinctly Catholic institutions.
--University and Catholic: Final Report of the Special Committee on the Christian Character of Marquette University (1977)

The true measure of a great university was then a bit different, as well. Here's Rev. John P. Raynor at the commencement on May 18, 1975 (the 300th anniversary of the death of Jacques Marquette).
But there is also a larger reality which Marquette represents, an overarching educational objective which we hope is achieved for you and with you, no matter what particular paths you may have followed while here. This is best summarized by saying that at its core, this University aims to represent Christian humanism.

Sic transit majorem gloria.
(via Sykes Writes)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:00 PM

    I'm a MU grad (class of '81). To my sorrow, it looks as though Marquette is following in the footsteps of Georgetown (chock full of PC trendiness, only nominally Catholic).

    Marquette in my day certainly had some hetrodox theologians. I vaguely remember Daniel Mcguire (is that his name? Or am I confusing him with the late, great Al McG?)and another Jesuit who was mad for the works of Hans Kung. But I also remember getting a very solid grounding in Western Civ and English Lit. I wonder if that is still the case. I am not overly optimistic.

    An aside I can't resist: I will never forget receiving a letter from Fr. Raynor's office, and bearing his signature stamp, during my junior year. The letter began: "Dear Donna: Reports have reached me of your recent misbehavior at the Ardmore and various other of the so-called "Marquette bars". It saddens and shocks me that a young Catholic woman could so forget the example of Mary and the saints, and I truly hope for your sake that you have made, or are planning to make confession shortly,...," And it went on like that for a full page.

    Now remember, this was in the days before computerized mail-merges made "personalized" letters easy. I broke into a sweat, wondering for a good minute what on earth I had done that was so much worse than the activities of a thousand other MU undergrads on Saturday night and why the President of the University would take such an interest in my social life. I knew the Jesuits were famous for wiles -but surely Fr. Raynor had better things to do with his time!

    The mystery was solved by a second letter a few days later. A high school friend of mine had gotten a job as Raynor's secretary. We had lost touch, but she knew I went to Marquette, and she had access to student addresses - and Raynor's stationary and signature stamp,...,:-)

    A perfect practical joke, I'd say.
    ;-)

    Donna

    ReplyDelete